It’s easy to overlook this, but take a second to browse through the list of the official “worst toys” of the year. Do you have anything on this list?!
We pride ourselves on recommending some of the most popular and on-trend toys each and every holiday season, but even if Christmas isn’t on the horizon it’s important to make sure the toys you’re giving to your kids or gifting to someone else are safe. We consulted with the experts at ToySafety.org who’ve teamed up with World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) for their annual list of what they consider the 10 Worst Toys of the year.
W.A.T.C.H. have been at this for over 48 years and provide insight into potential hidden dangers on a wide variety of toys. Now we’re not stating that these toys are actually totally unsafe, but W.A.T.C.H. want parents to know about things you really should be on the lookout for.
Out of their top 10, which you can find here, we’ve highlighted 5 that we’ve seen on a variety of others “must have” lists in the past.
Below is a quick breakdown of which dangers you should be mindful of:
- Calico Critters Nursery Friends: Small parts that could increase the potential for choking and/or chocking injuries.
- Mandalorian Darksaber: Rigid plastic may increase potential for facial and other injuries.
- Missile Launcher: Watching this missile soar 75 feet could increase potential of possible facial and/or eye injury.
- Marvel Avengers Power FX Claw: Increased potential for eye, face, or body related injury.
- Gloria Owl: Geared towards as young as 12-months old, fiber-like hair could shed causing potential increase in ingestion.
It’s safe to say that with just about any toy there could be some risk of injury, but at the end of the day it’s your call with how inclined you are to avoid these toys. As always, be sure to always keep an active eye on your kiddos as accidents can always happen.
To see the full list with full background, prices, and manufacturer information, check out the ToySafety.org study here.