Back by popular demand is “2 Minute Recaps.” I can honestly say that this was such a success last week that I’m looking forward to doing this over and over again. I got a ton of emails about this and so, well you fed my ego, and I’m happy to continue this new weekly segment. A spinoff of “Harriet Carter Wednesday” watch my favorite Harriet Carter model, Rachel Platt, host this online cooking show like a champ. If you’re new to this, check out last weeks explainer by clicking here. Now that we’re all settled, here’s my craptastic recap of this weeks episode of Rachel and Will making “Apple Tart.” Hmm, fitting. Let’s go:
- Honestly, I can’t love this any more than I already do. Rachel tells us that there’s a trend lately that desserts “instantly give you diabetes.” Seriously, what? I’ve NEVER heard of that trend before in my life.
- Rachel asks the “chef” about what desserts she can make that won’t overwhelm or kill her guests. I think that’s actually pretty nice. I mean, I’m not sure how you technically “overwhelm” your guests with a dessert, but I’ll take her word for it.
- Please note Rachel has yet another glass of wine. This one is hardly even filled so you know she was tossing a few back before the director yelled “action!”
- Rachel continues her assault on the word “ok.”
- Chef Will tells us to skin the apples using a carrot peeler. Now I, clearly, am not a chef but could I use an apple peeler to peel the apples or is using a carrot peeler better?
- Question of the Episode Award: “Some dishes you want to keep the skin and some dishes you don’t want to. Why?” Hmmm, well Rachel that’s because that’s called “a different recipe.” Some recipes have ingredients like garlic while others don’t. Make sense now? Good question though.
- After Chef Will explains why the apple skin should be removed for this particular recipe, Rachel says a high-pitched “Ok.” Let me translate that “Ok” for you. What Rachel really means by that is, “I don’t believe you and I think you’re wrong and I’m on my period, but I’m not going to argue with you, asshole.”
- Yuck. The finished product looks like someone did “#2” in a mini crockpot.
- How does one pronounce the fruit, “apricot?” Isn’t it “ahhh-pricot?” Why do they keep saying it like, “ape-ricot.” Wow they won’t stop saying it.
- Question of the Episode Runner Up Award: “Now you’re using apricot. Could somebody use their favorite jam?” No Rachel, they could not. In the state of Louisiana this is actually punishable by law. There is currently someone on death-row for using raspberry jam, but you take that chance.
- Is Rachel a bit bipolar? She freaks out and yells for Chef Will to put down the plate so he doesn’t burn his hands. Then she’s all back to smiles a second later. She’s a wild one.
- Rachel’s acting class skills pay off in 3….2….1 when she takes a bite and says, “Mmmmm.”
- For some reason she’s still on her kick of how desserts can kill you because she ends the segment (right before she messes up and they decide to not edit it out) and says, “Remember a dessert doesn’t need to land you in the hospital for 2-weeks….” Uh, does that really happen because now she’s starting to freak me out. I’m about to eat some brownies, but I can’t afford 2-weeks off of work because I’m in the ICU. Stick to the facts Rachel.
That concludes another segment of 2 Minute Recaps, the spinoff from Harriet Carter Wednesday. What a real treat. I heart Rachel.